This intriguing little cocktail is one of my personal favorites. It's a blend of orange flavored vodka and orange juice, with tropical fruit liqueur and Campari. The end result is refreshing, tart, and thirst quenching.
Campari is a bitter apéritif liqueur that is most known for being one third of the classic cocktail, the Negroni. However, it's much, much more than that. Its unique flavor comes from a blend of herbs and spices, with orange as a predominant flavor. While it is not something that I particularly enjoy drinking on its own, I love to experiment with it in cocktails. The bitter quality that Campari is famous for is great for balancing sweetness, and that's exactly what it does here, in my Tuscan Sunset cocktail.
- 1.5 oz blood orange flavored vodka
- .75 oz Campari
- .75 oz X-Rated Fusion Liqueur (or Kinky Liqueur)**
- 1.5 oz fresh orange juice
**X-Rated and Kinky are very similar liqueurs at different price points. Both are vodka based and flavored with blood orange, mango, and passion fruit. A blood orange liqueur, like Solerno, will also work very nicely.
- Prepare rocks glass by filling with cracked ice.
- Fill mixing glass with ice.
- Pour in all ingredients.
- Shake mixture vigorously until shaking can frosts over.
- Strain mixture into prepared rocks glass.
- Garnish with blood orange slice or pomegranate seeds.
I prefer to serve this one on the rocks, as shown, but you could also serve it up in martini glass. If you're day drinking, it's also excellent poured into a collins glass and topped with blood orange soda (or sparkling wine, if you really mean business).