The classic manhattan recipe consists of whiskey, sweet vermouth, and bitters, with a cherry garnish. Some of the best manhattans I've had include a little bit of the cherry juice splashed in with the other ingredients.
So, that gave me an idea. If the cherry juice is so damn delicious with the whiskey and vermouth, then certainly other berry flavors would work as well!
They do. They definitely do.
For this manhattan recipe, I substituted some of the sweet vermouth for homemade raspberry liqueur.
Officially, mahattans are made with rye whiskey, but you can substitute bourbon if you prefer a sweeter flavor.
- 3 oz rye whiskey
- .5 oz sweet vermouth
- 1 oz raspberry liqueur
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Prepare rocks glass by filling with cracked ice.
- Fill a mixing glass with ice.
- Pour in all ingredients.
- Shake mixture vigorously until shaking can frosts over.
- Strain mixture into prepared rocks glass.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries.